05 November 2005

Work Work Work

Note: This is a rare personal post. I may be turning into a selfish bastard!

I am currently employed by a large bank. I don't have anything to do with the actual money. People all around me help the bank to make a load of money, and then I crunch numbers, and analyze data, and report those figures up the chain. I hate reporting. Always have. Always will. I'm someone who likes to do get actual work done. While analyzing past performance is absolutely valid and is a useful tool, it's just not my gig.

Therin lies the rub. I took over a couple of reporting processes when I started a new position within my company. Because I do these tasks fast, error free (99.9999% of the time) and create processes to do them as automatically as possible, I get all the reporting. FRUSTRATING. I even mentioned to my supervisor that I would do them if asked, but it's the one task I cannot stand.

Now I feel as if I'm being overlooked for other projects that I would not only be excited and motivated for, but projects that actually fit my skillset better. I'm analytical but not a number cruncher. I'm more technical and technology-based. Of course, I have no time to display those talents as I've been labled "the report guru". Fucking yuck.

So now comes the dilemma I deal with (internally) everyday. Do I move on to another company where they would hopefully remember why they hired me in the first place (hint: resume showed strong technical knowledge and background), and lose some very beneficial perks (stock options, excellent 401K, etc,)? Or do I stick it out in this position hoping the situation changes or a new opportunity presents itself within the same company?

I'm not looking for advice, I just needed to write it all down. No one's reading this anyway!

No comments: