02 October 2006

Roll Tape...

I have a hobby that doesn't involve worrying about the state of politics in any way shape or form. I enjoy editing films (and making music, but that's a different story.). Of course with no one beating my door down to edit their footage (which is what you'd call "good"), it means I have to shoot footage as well.

I have graduated past the Windows movie maker stage, but I feel I may have reached my very limited potential. I hope that's because of pedestrian equipment and no training whatsoever. I'm in a bit of a conundrum. To get to the "next level" of my hobby, it's going to take a rather substantial investment. The camera that I'd like to have is almost $2,000 on it's own. Let's be honest, the camera I'd REALLY like to have is probably about $5,000 with all its HD and cinematic featurey goodness. Then the editing computer/software will total over $3500.00 if I get the good stuff. The question is, is it worth spending that much money on a hobby? Is there any potential for it to ever pay itself back? Does that even matter?

On the one hand it fills a creative need. I enjoy it, and I feel like I'm accomplishing something when I finish a project. Of course, I can continue with my current setup and still get fairly quality home movies. Which honestly, is the reason I started messing around with editing. It's not like I don't have kids to think about and all the ways they can find to spend my money. I guess I could take the medium route and take a class and play it by ear from there. I don't know...I just wanted to write it out to help me reason this out. So if you've read this far...you must be bored.

Why did I hit "Publish"? Cause I'm a narcissist. Bweeeeeeeeee!

No comments: