24 April 2007

"Let's ban 'em".

I was reading an article in a New Hampshire regional newspaper (their
on-line edition) about a small airplane that had to make an emergency
landing on a golf course. You know how you can post comments about stories on a lot of newspaper sites now? Well this site had the ability, and there was one response... this response was so ludicrous I HAD to respond. I mean register on the site and everything. It was maddening in it's absolute lack of thought and rationality. Keep in mind that the story ends as well as could ever be hoped for, with the pilot landing with no damage to the plane, or anyone.

I give you this:
"It seems that every day now I read about some small airplane crashing
somewhere. This one ended safely by[sic] it would be a different story if
someone had been hit. I really don't understand why people are allowed to
fly these deathtraps anymore. The danger is not acceptable in the post-9/11
world. The sooner we ban them, the safer we'll be"

Christ. on. a. crutch.

And my reply:
Banning small aircraft because of a few equipment failures would be like
banning automobiles for one fatal traffic accident. If you looked at the
number of flights vs. the number of accidents, it's the stellar safety
records which makes an incident so newsworthy.
Also your reference to 9/11 was absolutely ridiculous. HIJACKED commercial
airliners were the cause of those horrible events not equipment failure.
Are you keen to take away another freedom from Americans? Live free or die
indeed*.

Am I wrong?

*In case you weren't aware, "Live Free or Die" is New Hampshire's state motto, and they take it very, VERY seriously.

1 comment:

Stewie said...

Your reply was spot on. Maybe that commenter was one of those involved in getting that kid charged in your next post.

I'm so glad there are people out there ready to parent me and keep me from danger, no matter what the risks. It makes me sleep better at night.*

*the above paragraph was brought to you by the word "sarcasm".